Cyber attacks are increasing day by day. The potential damage with these attacks may cause to a common user, large organizations and enterprises should be troubled. Almost everyone who uses laptop or computers or connect to the internet must take protection, not to fall victim to such attacks.Today are ransomware, trojans, and information stealers among the most concerning malware, This malware can origin downtime, data loss, and even business closure. Ransomware outbreaks, for example, have crippled business and government operations all over the world. In this tutorial, we will discuss Ways to prevent cyber attacks.
Common Cyber Attack & its Impact
A Trojan horse is a type of malicious code or software. It looks genuine but can take control of your computer. The main purpose is to damage the data on the network.
A Virus is a malware attached to another program (such as a document), which can reproduce itself and spread after an original execution on a target system. In this human interaction is also required.Visiting an infected website, Installing software applications without thoroughly reading the license agreements, Opening spam email or an email attachment, Sharing of photos, files, or music with other users, Downloading of media players, toolbars, free games, and other system utilities.
It is a cyber crime in which target are watch over to gain access to there user name, password, credit or debit card details. This can be done by contacting the target through email, telephone and text with the help of spam mail, spam text.
Ways of how to prevent Cyber attacks
Anti-Viruses and Anti-Malware
Anti-viruses are broadly-available software that can defend against popular malware. It can be deployed to accomplish routine malware scans. Most professionals and home users can take benefits from features such as scanning in real-time as well as the removal of virus
- Anti-Viruses can voluntarily stop common and widespread malware from infecting the devices as long as these tools are kept updated.
- Some anti-viruses are not enough to counter sophisticated malware so it’s also important to choose solutions from trustworthy providers.
Sandboxing is used to protect computers and networks. It is mainly used for more advanced threats that typically avoid antivirus software. Hackers have developed fairly ingenious at masking malware. They can even implant malware into genuine files.
Enterprises/organizational users can use sandboxes – dedicated workstations that are used to scan and test files, email attachments, and storage devices if they contain malware, to monitor such threats. Malware can be liberally created to cause harm to the sandbox. As sandboxes are secluded devices, malware can be recognized while being disallowed from approaching into contact with the rest of the system.
Firewalls can control traffic that’s being received or sent out on devices, servers, or web applications. They can slab or block the malicious traffic that tries to access these devices, preventing hackers from successfully implanting malware into the devices.If a System (Laptop/computer) is infected with malware, the firewalls can do this:
- It can block the outgoing traffic
- Trojans from transmitting stolen data back to hackers.
Email Scanning and Spam Filtering
- Hackers have been used Emails to execute cyber-attacks. They try to trap users into downloading malware hidden as attachments or clicking on malicious web links.
- The way to prevent this is to use email services that have built-in anti-viruses that automatically scan attachments.
- Email services can also feature advanced spam filtering that could also screen out mass-sent emails that contain these malicious attachments and links.
Content Disarm and Reconstruction
- The enterprises used a method which can be deployed for malware protection is known as CDR (Content Disarm and reconstruction)
- CDR fundamentally cleans the files by eliminating the malicious code and keeping the document usable.
- This mechanism makes it more flexible and capable as compared to antiviruses and sandboxing. It can recover potentially main information from the infected files.
Browsing and Download Protection
- The safe browsing plugins can help users to keep away from malicious web links by marking which links are safe to click.
- Plugins and web extensions can also be installed as an added protection.
- If the files downloaded from the internet are free from malware and are safe to execute than the download protection web extensions can determine.
- The above safety measures can help users avoid getting malware into their devices.
- The malware can grow into systems is via social engineering attacks, said to be “phishing”.
- instant messages are the source of Malware’s entry into the system. Moreover, phishing emails are also deployed. They are designed to fool users. By using these mails users can invite malware into their systems
- Users can help avoid falling for such scams by learning to spot and discard fake messages and e-mails.
- Organizations can also run anti-phishing tools. These can train users on how to give a response to suspicious emails as well as phishing attempts.
The malware-based attacks are continuously rising and rising. So it is vital to everyone that they should do have the right security tools. Cyber security is relevant so you should adopt relevant measures. In this tutorial, we discussed how to prevent cyber attacks. If you are having any doubt ask me freely in the comment box.