AES and DES both are categorized into symmetric block ciphers. In this article, we will discuss the main difference between AES and DES. Some organisations use DES till date but many of them have switched to AES. For getting more clarity, just check out the full article to know which is more better and why?
So read on the full article to know what is AES,DES and their major differences.
AES (Advanced Encryption Standard):
- AES data encryption is a systematically & mathematically well-designed and more efficient cryptographic algorithm.
- It is designed by Vincent Rijmen and Joan Daemen.
- AES originate from Square cipher in 1977.
- Its key strength rests in the selection for various key lengths.
- AES uses permutation-substitution. It includes a series of substitution & permutation steps for the creation of an encrypted block.
- AES provides us to pick a 128-bit, 192-bit, or 256-bit key. This makes it stronger than the 56-bit key of DES.
- In rounds of operation it includes Key addition, Byte substitution, Mix Column, and Shift Row rounds.
- AES is more secure than DES. It is a de-facto world standard.
DES (Data Encryption Standard):
- DES data encryption is also a cryptographic algorithm.
- It is designed by IBM in 2000.
- It can encrypt 64 bits of plain text.
- DES includes Key length is of 56 bits.
- In rounds of operation it includes Expansion, XOR operation with a round key.
- DES is weaker and Triple DES or 3- DES is more secure than DES.
Both AES and DES are the examples of Symmetric Block Ciphers but both have some definite dissimilarity. Now let us discuss the key difference between AES and DES ciphers:-
Difference between Advanced Encryption standard and Data encryption standard
|AES stands for Advanced Encryption Standard.||DES stands for Data Encryption Standard.|
|Identified attacks||No kind of identified attack.||Linear crypt-analysis, Differential crypt-analysis, and Brute-force.|
|Security||AES is more secure than DES. It is a de-facto world standard.||DES is weaker and Triple DES or 3- DES is more secure than DES.|
|Network||The structure is based on a substitution-permutation network.||The structure is based on a Feistel network.|
|Rounds of Operations||Rounds per key length:|
128 bits – 10;
192 bits – 12;
256 bits – 14.
|16 rounds of identical operations.|
|Rounds||Key addition, Byte substitution, Mix Column, and Shift Row.||Expansion, XOR operation with a round key.|
|Size||It can encrypt 128 bits of plain text.||It can encrypt 64 bits of plain text.|
|Originate from||AES Originate from Square cipher.||DES Originate from Lucifer cipher.|
|Designed By||Designed by Vincent Rijmen and Joan Daemen.||Designed by IBM.|
|Developed||It is developed in 1977||It is developed in 2000|
|Cipher Type||Symmetric block cipher||Symmetric block cipher|
|Block Size||64 bits||128 bits|
|Key Length||Key length varies from 128 bits, 192 bits to 256 bits.|
The key length is 56 bits.
Summary of differences between AES and DES
- The very main difference between DES and AES is that the block in DES is divided into 2 halves before further processing whereas, in AES entire block is processed to obtain ciphertext.
- Working of DES algorithm is based on the Feistel Cipher principle whereas the AES algorithm works on substitution and permutation principle.
- The key size of DES is comparatively smaller that is 56 bit but on the other hand, AES which has 128,192, or 256-bit secret key.
- The rounds in DES include Expansion Permutation, Xor, S-box, P-box, Xor and Swap. Whereas on the other hands, rounds in AES include Subbytes, Shiftrows, Mix columns, Addroundkeys.
- AES is more secure than DES
- AES works faster than DES.
Also check : Difference between Steganograpy and Cryptography
AES and DES both are encryption standards, but AES works more efficiently than DES. I hope this tutorial works for you. In this tutorial, I have discussed the major difference between AES and DES. If you’re having any doubt, ask me freely in the comment box.