Software engineering and Computer science both engineering disciplines are equivalent in some phases, but not completely. There are some differences exists are listed below:
Difference between software engineering and computer science based on definition:
Definition of Computer Science:
“Computer science focuses on theory, fundamentals and foundations of computing including, algorithms design, programming languages, theories of computing, artificial intelligence and hardware design.”
Definition of Software Engineering:
Software engineering focuses on technical and managerial leadership for large and complex systems. Its foundation of enduring engineering principles will support a lifetime of practice amid emerging technologies. It also concerned with the practicalities of developing and delivering useful software.
Difference between software engineering and computer science based on the delivery side:
Computer Science perception on delivery side:
Computer science programs tend to concentrate on individual assignments, dealing with the development of systems such as databases, compilers and operating systems.
Software engineering perception on delivery side:
Software engineering is fixed in real-world problems, because software engineers concerns professional decision attained through practical experience, their training is hands-on, project focused and team-centered.
Glance of computer science:
Some most important points that are covered under Computer science, their glance and short of description given below:
- Algorithms: Algorithm is a process or a set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer.
- Theory of Computation: The theory of computation is a branch of computer science that deals with how proficiently problems can be solved on a model of computation, using designed algorithm.
- Compilers: A compiler is a special computer program that specially used to processes statements written in a particular programming language and turns them into machine language or “binary code” or “compute understandable code” that a computer’s processor uses.
- Operating Systems: The operating system in short OS is the most important program for every computer. In every general-purpose computer must have an operating system to run other programs and applications in other words it provide a bridge or interface among software and hardware.
- Artificial Intelligence: Artificial intelligence is the study of human behavior or simulation of human intelligence processes by machines, especially computer systems.
Glance of software engineering:
Some most important points that are covered under Software engineering, their glance and short of description given below;
- Software Architecture: Software architecture is a structured framework used to describe the subsystems, conceptualize software elements, properties and their relationships.
- Project Management: Project management oversees the application of processes, methods, knowledge, skills and experience to achieve the project objectives.
- Technical Planning: Planning is one of the fundamental functions of management at any level, it consist goals, strategies, objectives, set of activities, hierarchy of activities, resource allocated etc.
- Risk Management: It is the process of analysis, identification and acceptance or mitigation of uncertainty in investment decisions.
- Software Assurance: It is a part of software management. It concerns the capacity of a system to maintain information about connected components to optimize their operations.
Some more important differences between computer science and software engineering:
- Computer science is an engineering field that covers the core concepts and technologies involved to prepare a computer system to do something while Software Engineering focuses on how to design and build software in teams.
- Computer science covers how computers and network operate and behave in detail while software engineering learn working with people (communication, management, working with non-technical customers), processes for developing software, and how to measure and analyze the software product and the software process.
- Computer science learns building a new system, discovering better way to design software or developing new algorithms for projects in entirely different fields while software engineering learn how to design, plan and manage resources.
Also Check: Principle of Programming Lecture
Finally we can state that computer science concerned with the theories and methods that underlie computers and software systems, while software engineering concerned with the practical problems of producing software. Ideally these two disciplines are underpinned to each other like some knowledge of computer science is essential for software engineers similarly at some knowledge of physics is essential for electrical engineers.