As we all aware that engineering is the obedience that deals with the application of science, mathematics and other types of data to design and build up products and services that perk up the eminence of human livelihood. Engineering is broken down into many sub disciplines on the behalf of specialization in particular domains using various technologies. Software Engineering and Systems Engineering are two sub specialized disciplines that are not purely interconnected disciplines but they are intimately intertwined. Although these two disciplines are interconnected to each other but at some phases they creates marginal difference that are as follows:
Difference between software engineering and system engineering based on definition:
Definition of software engineering:
Software engineering concern about the designing and developments engineering specified software of the highest quality and should have broad information systems experience.
Definition of system engineering:
System engineering concerns on the overall management of engineering projects throughout their life cycle. System engineering highly concerns on the hardware part of the project. It deals with logistics, team coordination, automatic machinery control, work processes and similar tools.
Also check: software engineering vs system engineering
Glance of system engineering:
- Operational concept development: This phase prepare the document of overall project development plan that describing the characteristics of a proposed system from the viewpoint of an individual who will use that system.
- System integration: It defines the process of bringing collectively the component subsystems into one system and ensuring that the subsystems function together as a system.
- Software Testing: It is a method of assessing the functionality of a software program. There are many different types of software capable to test proper software. Broadly testing is divided into two categories dynamic testing and static testing.
- Quality Analysis: It engage the fully software development process that includes monitoring and improving the process, and making sure that all the standard procedures are followed and ensuring that the problems are found and dealt with it.
- Risk managements and control: Risk management and control is the method by which software engineer identify the risk, reduce the impact of risk, reduce the probability or likelihood of risk and risk monitoring as well.
- Project opportunities analysis: It detailed review of the prospects for a software product within a possible market.
Some more important differences between computer science and software engineering:
- Software engineering highly focuses on implementing quality software while system engineers highly concern about the users and domains.
- Software engineering includes in computer science or computer based engineering background while system engineering may covers a broader education area includes Engineering, Mathematics and Computer science.).
- Software engineers focus solely on software components while system engineering deals with a substantial amount of physical component of computers.
- Software Engineering deals with designing and developing software of the highest quality, while Systems Engineering is the sub discipline of engineering, which deals with the overall management of engineering projects during their life cycle.
- Software engineering techniques such as use-case modeling and configuration management are being used in the systems engineering process.
In additional, many cases under system engineering overlaps with the concepts of industrial engineering, control engineering, organizational and project management and even software engineering. System Engineering is branded as an interdisciplinary engineering area due to this reason. System Engineer may perform system designing, developing requirements, verifying requirements, system testing and other engineering studies.