There are lot of encryption techniques that are used for protecting the relevant data. In this article, we will discuss the difference between substitution cipher and transposition cipher.
So read on the full article to know the main difference as well as example of these ciphers.
The process of converting plain text into cipher text is known as Traditional ciphers. The two kinds of ciphers are the Substitution Cipher Technique and Transposition Cipher Technique. No, let us discuss the key difference between ‘Substitution Cipher Technique’ and ‘Transposition Cipher Technique’
Substitution Cipher Technique
- The art of writing, coding, and analyzing usually in cryptography, a substitution cipher is a technique of encryption by which characters of plain text are replaced with another symbol or number according to a permanent set of procedures.
- The plain text includes characters, letters, triplets, pairs, etc.
- The letters of standard alphabets are replaced with ciphertext in the substitution cipher technique.
- In this technique, the substitution of punctuation and spaces are also applied.
- It replaced the plain text characters with other characters, symbols, numbers.
- In this technique character’s identity is also changed even as its location remains unchanged.
- Two kinds of algorithms: Monoalphabetic and Polyalphabetic substitution cipher are mainly used in the Substitution Cipher Technique.
Transposition Cipher Technique:
- Transposition cipher changes the position of symbols instead of substituting one character for another.
- It rearranges the location of plain text characters.
- In this technique the location of the character is changed other than the identity of the character is not changed.
- Transposition ciphers are of two kinds, Keyless and Keyed transportation cipher.
- The long sections of readable plaintext will be disclosed by keys that were neared to the right key.
- Rail fence Cipher is the best example of Transposition Cipher
Example of Transposition cipher
The key for the columnar transposition cipher is a keyword e.g Tech. The row length that is used is the same as the length of the keyword. To encrypt a piece of text, e.g.
The main difference between substitution cipher and transposition cipher
|Parameters||Substitution Cipher||Transposition Cipher|
The process in which letters of plain text are replaced by other symbols or numbers or letters by using a substitution technique is known as Substitution Cipher
Transposition cipher changes the position of symbols instead of substituting one character for another.
Substitution Ciphers uses mainly two kinds of algorithms: Monoalphabetic and Polyalphabetic substitution cipher.
Transposition ciphers are of two kinds: Keyless and Keyed transportation cipher.
Each letter retains its position but changes its identity.
Each letter changes its position but retains its identity.
Generally the low frequency (the last letters of alphabets lean-to reside at the end.
The long sections of readable plaintext will be disclosed by keys that were neared to the right key.
Ceaser Cipher is the best example of Substitution Cipher
Rail fence Cipher is the best example of Transportation Cipher
Here in this article, I have described the main difference between substitution cipher and transposition cipher. If you’re having any doubt, ask me freely in the comment box.