Wireless Networking: The term wireless networking comes with the combination of two words i.e. Wireless + Networking. The word wireless is defined as “having no wires” or ‘without cable’ while networking is defined as the interaction of devices with one others to exchange information and develop professional or social contacts. In wireless networking terminology, wireless is the term that used to explain about any computer network where there is no physical cable connection between information sender and receiver, but rather the network is connected by radio waves and/or microwaves to maintain communications in between sender and receiver. Hence a wireless networking is a computer networking technology which enables users to communicate and access applications and information without connected by wires of any kinds.
Wireless networking technology provides high feasibility to the users i.e. freedom of movement and the ability to extend applications to different parts of a building, city, or nearly anywhere in the world. The use of a wireless networking enables enterprises to avoid the costly process of introducing cables into buildings or as a connection between different equipment locations. Thus this networking technology provides a economy environment to big organizations. Wireless networking allows its users to interact via e-mail or browse the Internet from a location that is feasible to them.
Wireless networking devices:
The basic of wireless networking utilize some specific equipment (excluding ad-hoc network) such as NICs (Network Interface Card), APs (Access Points), Ethernet switches, wireless extenders & repeaters, network adapters, modems and routers in place of wires (copper or optical fiber) by which all communication runs through air interfacing. These devices typically use the IEEE 802.11 a, b, g, n (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), standard sand come in with a wide variety of products ranging from simple devices suitable for households to the APs with high security and performance. The basic wireless networks consist of multiple stations those are communicating with radios that broadcast in either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band, though this varies according to the locale and is also changing to enable communication in the 2.3GHz and 4.9GHz ranges. There are various wireless communication systems exists, but a distinguishing attribute of a wireless network is that communication takes place between computer devices. The wireless networking used by various devices which includes;
- Personal digital assistants (PDAs),
- Personal computers (PCs),
- Printer etc.
The wireless networks convey information or transfer data between computer devices. The data can take the form of e-mail messages, web pages, and database records, streaming video or voice. In most of the cases, wireless networks transfer data, such as e-mail messages and files, but advancements in the performance of wireless networks is enabling support for video and voice communications as well.
Advantages of Wireless Communication:
- Heavy data transform: Huge amount of data and information can be transmitted faster with a high speed.
- Economical setup installation: A Unified Wireless network is often more cost effective than installing dedicated cable drops, and is less costly than you think.
- Save Time: By providing wireless network services when and where they are needed most, without adding additional staff resources.
- Maintenance is less cost for these networks.
- The internet can be accessed from anywhere wirelessly.
- High amount user access wireless network.
- Very helpful for workers, doctors working in remote areas as they can be in touch with medical centers.
Disadvantages of Wireless Communication:
- Unauthorized user: An unauthorized person can easily capture the wireless signals which spread through the air.
- Security: It is very important to secure the wireless network so that the information cannot be misused by unauthorized users.
Application of Wireless networking:
Wireless networking technology is widely available across worldwide. High amount of wireless networking application involves security systems, television remote control, Wi-Fi, Cell phones, wireless power transfer, computer interface devices and various wireless communication based projects (like; Android based smart phone communication, smart phone controlled traffic signal etc.).